Start Date: April 10, 2017
End Date: April 11, 2017
Venue: EUL, Cairo, Egypt
This workshop will aim to increase the learner’s understanding of best practice in scientific publishing with particular emphasis on publication ethics. The workshop will be interactive and practical where, editors will discuss and develop their journal policies and learn how to perform an ethical audit of their journal. This course will aim to provide participants with a greater understating of:
- Developing and maintaining effective journal policies for authorship, conflicts of interest, and originality / copyright
- Relationship with authors, readers, peer reviewers, and editors and publishers
- Commercial and business ethics
- Detecting misconduct
- Responding to cases of possible misconduct
- Liaising with institutions
- Correcting the literature
- Resources and organizations to be aware of
This course is ideal for:
- Editors-in-chief of peer-reviewed journals
- Other decision-making editors (e.g. editorial board members)
- Journal publishers
Editor in Chief, Learned Publishing
Owner, PSP Consulting
Mrs. Pippa Smart is an independent research communication and publishing consultant with nearly 30 years of experience in the academic and research publishing industry. She began her career with a degree in publishing and anthropology, and worked for Blackwell Science as a copyeditor before moving to CABI as a production manager, taking over responsibility for their book and journal programme. In 2000 briefly moved to Cambridge University Press and then back to Blackwell Science as a Publisher with responsibility for a portfolio of medical journals.
In 2002 she joined INASP, a development organization supporting editors and publishers in the developing world, helping them raise quality and publish online, and developed the African Journals OnLine programme (AJOL).
In 2007, she became an independent consultant and since, has undertaken a wide range of activities for companies around the world. Currently, she is also the Editor-in-Chief of Learned Publishing, a quarterly journal for the scholarly publishing community and a non-executive Director of Practical Action Publishing, the publishing arm of the charity, Practical Action.