Start Date: July 18, 2017
End Date: July 19, 2017
Venue: Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
This workshop will aim to increase the learner’s understanding of best practice in scientific publishing with particular emphasis on publication ethics. The workshop will be interactive and practical: researchers will discuss and develop their knowledge of editorial policies and ethical practices to facilitate successful research publications. This course will provide participants with a greater understanding of:
- The researchers’ responsibilities to readers, peer reviewers, editors, publishers and the general public
- The responsibilities of editors, reviewers and publishers to the researcher authors
- Avoiding misconduct and ensuring high ethical standards
- Resources and organizations to be aware of
This course is ideal for:
- Health science academic researchers, currently writing a research paper
- Established researchers who wish to better understand publication ethics
- PhD students who aim to begin publishing scholarly papers in the immediate future
- Library and information professionals who provide classes to faculty on this topic
Editor in Chief, Learned Publishing
Owner, PSP Consulting
Mrs. Pippa Smart is an independent research communication and publishing consultant with nearly 30 years of experience in the academic and research publishing industry. She began her career with a degree in publishing and anthropology, and worked for Blackwell Science as a copyeditor before moving to CABI as a production manager, taking over responsibility for their book and journal programme. In 2000 briefly moved to Cambridge University Press and then back to Blackwell Science as a Publisher with responsibility for a portfolio of medical journals.
In 2002 she joined INASP, a development organization supporting editors and publishers in the developing world, helping them raise quality and publish online, and developed the African Journals OnLine programme (AJOL).
In 2007, she became an independent consultant and since, has undertaken a wide range of activities for companies around the world. Currently, she is also the Editor-in-Chief of Learned Publishing, a quarterly journal for the scholarly publishing community and a non-executive Director of Practical Action Publishing, the publishing arm of the charity, Practical Action.