Qatar University Library cordially invites you to the workshop
Principles, Use and Bibliometrics’ Indicators
Date: Sunday January 18, 2015 Time: 9 a.m.-12 p.m. Venue: QU Library, Ground Floor, Auditorium, Room 117 Brief Agenda: Principles of bibliometrics
- Introduction to bibliometrics
- The data( Selection, Collection, and indexing. How data are treated and which parameters become available).
- The indicators
- The role of bibliometrics in research evaluation
- Benchmarking a university against peer institutions and global, regional and national averages.
- University rankings. The various rankings publishers use different data and weighting schemes which can lead to surprising differences in results. We will examine some of these and develop ideas to influence the university’s position.
Master of Science (M.Sc.) Neuroscience
Scientometrics Consultant, Thomson Reuters
Philip Purnellgraduated from the Institute of Psychiatry, London with a Master’s degree in Neuroscience and then went on to hold a research post at the Max-Planck Institute of Psychiatry in Munich, Germany. He then spent several years in the pharmaceutical industry and subsequently the scientific, technical and medical publishing sector. At Thomson Reuters, Philip has advised academic, governmental and private research institutions and funding bodies across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia on strategies to evaluate their research output and performance. He has also studied the underlying publication and citation data used in scientometrics which he has communicated through workshops, lectures and publications.