25th March 2015 (12:00 – 14:00)
Led by Philip Purnell
Principles of Bibliometrics
- Introduction to Bibliometrics
- The Data (Selection, Collection, and Indexing. How data are treated and which parameters become available).
- The Indicators
- The Role of Bibliometrics in Research Evaluation
- Benchmarking a University against peer institutions and global, regional and national averages.
- University Rankings. The various rankings publishers use different data and weighting schemes which can lead to surprising differences in results. We will examine some of these and develop ideas to influence the university’s position.